Hello readers. Now I don’t know about you, but I love going to the thrift store and looking for new pieces to add to my wardrobe. When you’re just starting out thrifting for the first time, it can seem quite daunting. There are a lot of sections and looking through it all can feel like looking for a needle in a haystack. It can feel overwhelming but it doesn’t have to be. I have some advice that will hopefully help.
It’s important to clarify the difference between vintage and thrifting. It is possible to find vintage pieces when thrifting but vintage is a term on its own. Vintage is a term originally used to describe wines in conjunction to the years it was made. Vintage fashion generally starts around the 1920s and continues on as long as the fashion has been in style and comes back. Vintage pieces tend to be more expensive but it is possible to find them in thrift store. The pieces have to come from the original era, for example it would not be considered vintage if the piece was made currently but inspired from that era.
1. When it comes to thrifting patience is key. There will be an odd day that you might not find something just right and the next day you could hit the goldmine and find something amazing.
2. Look at fabrics. A great way to narrow down possible clothing item is to feel and look at the textures. Since the clothes come from a variety of stores and years sizing is incredibly varied. When you pull items to try on its better to ignore the sizes and see what fits your body best.
3. Look at the men’s and women’s section. There are great pieces in the men’s section from dress pants to oversized t-shirts. Don’t be afraid to look through and find something amazing.
4. Try on styles you wouldn’t normally try. Have fun when your thrifting, the store will have current pieces but it will also have some fantastic pieces from different decades. If you open yourself up to try something different, you could learn about a new cut or style that looks amazing.
5. Try to go in with an idea of what you want to look at. If you’re just starting out or you don’t have a lot of time to thrift going in with an idea of what you want can help narrow things down. If your looking for a specific style, it could be difficult so keep an open mind. For example if you want a new pair of pants just look in that section and that way the trip doesn’t feel too overwhelming. Figure out what you are looking for and try to stay focused.
I hope this post will help and make your next trip fun and successful. I would love if you would comment below some of your favourite finds that you got thrifting. Alma